Home   .   Software   .   Books   .   News   .   Articles   .   Forums   . .
    Forums Home   .   Privacy Policy   .   E-mail Us!    

Go Back   Flagship Technologies Discussion Forums > Product Discussions & Support > FormCalc SST™ for QuickBooks

Notices

Old 08-21-2014, 09:49 AM   #1
FlagshipTech
Administrator

Default Can SST calculate formula-based pricing?

[Duplicated from email support]

Can formcalcSST help me implement a formula based pricing system?

I sell goods by the inch and typically include a cutting charge in the cost.
I do not want to show the cutting charge separately.

So my formula is...

Price = (Length * unit price) + (3 * diameter)

Can formcalcSST calculate the price of each line item and replace the price
that quickbooks defaults to of (length * unit price) with my formula above?

Thanks,
Scott B.
FlagshipTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 09:53 AM   #2
FlagshipTech
Administrator

Default Re: Can SST calculate formula-based pricing?

Scott,

> Can formcalc SST help me implement a formula based pricing system?

Yes. I suppose we need to put up an example of that on our Web site...many others have done something similar.

Here are things you must do to accomplish this:

* Set up these custom fields in your Items list: UnitPrice, Length, Diameter.

* Populate these custom fields for those Items which will have formula pricing:
UnitPrice - should be the price that will be multiplied by Length
Length, Diameter - you can fill these in with values for each Item...or not, if they will be filled in at the time of invoice creation.

* Customize the QuickBooks form (invoice, etc.) to include the three new custom fields.

* In FormCalc SST, after taking a Snapshot of your QuickBooks form, enter a formula for the Rate (Price) column which equates to the formula you mentioned.

Notes:

* The UnitPrice custom field is necessary because the FormCalc SST formula will overwrite the Rate (Price) column's value. So if you make a change--say, changing the Length of an item on the invoice--and recalculate with FormCalc SST, the original UnitPrice will still be available to use in the calculation.

* You may likely want to omit the UnitPrice column from printed copies of the invoice, unless you want customers to see it.

* You may sell Items for which you do not want to apply formula pricing; rather you want them sold via the standard Qty * Rate = Amount formula. For those, do enter the price in the usual Rate (Price) field. Then in your FormCalc SST formula, use =IF() logic to check for a value in one of the other fields (like Length or Diameter) so that the calculation won't be done on rows where those values are 0. (If you get going on this and have a problem figuring out the =IF function, we can give you advice on that.)

If you need more help, please ask.

Mark Wilsdorf
Flagship Technologies, Inc.
http://www.goflagship.com

NOTICE: Emails you send to us for technical support on any of our products become the property of Flagship Technologies, Inc. We reserve the right to post your technical support questions and our answers in our online discussion forums at http://www.goflagship.com/forums/ , for the informational benefit of other users of our products. If we use any of your emailed message content in this way, we will hide or disguise any information which we believe to be of a confidential nature.
Old 08-21-2014, 09:56 AM   #3
FlagshipTech
Administrator

Thanks for the detailed answer. When I get some time, I will likely be trying the trial version.

If I try it and do not like it, are there any issues with quickbooks after removing the plug-in?

Scott B.
Old 08-21-2014, 09:57 AM   #4
FlagshipTech
Administrator

Scott,

> ...are there any issues with quickbooks after removing the plug-in?

None.

FormCalc SST only interacts with the live data on a QuickBooks form--it has no "tie ins" to the QuickBooks database, etc.

Mark Wilsdorf
Flagship Technologies, Inc.
http://www.goflagship.com

NOTICE: Emails you send to us for technical support on any of our products become the property of Flagship Technologies, Inc. We reserve the right to post your technical support questions and our answers in our online discussion forums at http://www.goflagship.com/forums/ , for the informational benefit of other users of our products. If we use any of your emailed message content in this way, we will hide or disguise any information which we believe to be of a confidential nature.